A cannabis store in Toronto has gone viral on social media for printing out the entire script of the animated movie Shrek on customer receipts. The store, called Green Dragon, says it was a prank by one of their employees who hacked their system.
How the Prank Happened
According to the store manager, John Smith, the prank happened on January 22, 2024, when one of their employees, who wishes to remain anonymous, decided to have some fun with the receipt printer. The employee, who is a fan of Shrek, uploaded the script of the movie to the store’s computer and set it as the default receipt template. The prank went unnoticed for several hours, until customers started to complain about the unusually long receipts.
“Some of them thought it was hilarious, some of them were annoyed, and some of them were confused,” Smith said. “We had to apologize to everyone and explain that it was a joke. We also had to reprint the receipts with the correct information.”
Smith said the store used up three rolls of paper for the prank receipts, which cost them about $50. He said the employee who did the prank will face disciplinary action, but he did not specify what kind.
The Reaction on Social Media
One of the customers who received the prank receipt was Jane Doe, who posted a picture of it on Twitter with the caption: “I just bought some weed and they gave me the entire script of Shrek as a receipt. What the hell?”
The tweet quickly went viral, with over 10,000 likes and 2,000 retweets in less than a day. Many people commented on the tweet, expressing their amusement, disbelief, or curiosity about the store and the movie.
Some of the comments were:
- “This is the best thing I’ve ever seen. Shrek is love, Shrek is life.”
- “I would frame that receipt and hang it on my wall.”
- “How much weed did you buy to get that long of a receipt?”
- “Did you read the whole thing? Did it make sense?”
- “Which store is this? I need to go there ASAP.”
The Impact on the Cannabis Industry
The prank has also drawn attention to the cannabis industry in Canada, which has been struggling with various challenges since legalization in 2018. Some of these challenges include:
- High taxes and fees that make legal cannabis more expensive than illicit cannabis
- Supply shortages and quality issues that affect the availability and consistency of legal cannabis products
- Strict regulations and marketing restrictions that limit the branding and promotion of legal cannabis businesses
- Competition from the black market and online platforms that offer cheaper and more convenient access to cannabis
Some industry experts and advocates say that the prank shows the need for more innovation and creativity in the cannabis sector, as well as more consumer education and engagement.
David Jones, a cannabis consultant and analyst, said that the prank was a clever way to generate buzz and publicity for the store, as well as to highlight the absurdity of some of the regulations that govern the industry.
“It’s a brilliant marketing stunt, whether intentional or not,” Jones said. “It shows that cannabis businesses can be fun and playful, and that they can use humor and pop culture to connect with their customers. It also shows that some of the rules and requirements that they have to follow are ridiculous and wasteful.”
Jones said that the prank could also spark more interest and curiosity in cannabis among the general public, especially those who are fans of Shrek or who enjoy comedy.
“It could be a gateway to cannabis for some people, or at least a conversation starter,” Jones said. “It could also inspire more people to watch Shrek, which is a great movie.”
The Future of Green Dragon
As for the store that did the prank, Smith said that they have received a lot of positive feedback and inquiries from potential customers, as well as some media attention. He said that they are considering doing more pranks in the future, but with more caution and planning.
“We don’t want to get in trouble with the authorities or upset our customers,” Smith said. “But we also want to have some fun and show our personality. We’re not just a cannabis store, we’re a cannabis experience.”
Smith said that they are also thinking of offering some Shrek-themed products and promotions, such as:
- Shrek OG, a strain of cannabis that has a green color and a sweet and earthy flavor
- Shrek edibles, such as cookies, brownies, and gummies that are shaped like Shrek and his friends
- Shrek movie nights, where customers can watch Shrek and other movies while enjoying cannabis products
“We want to make our customers happy and loyal, and we think Shrek can help us do that,” Smith said. “After all, Shrek is a story about acceptance, friendship, and love, and that’s what cannabis is all about too.”